How to Sell a Car at a Dealership
Whether you’re looking to upgrade to a new vehicle or simply want to sell your car for some extra cash, learning how to sell a car at a dealership beforehand can set your mind at ease. How does selling your car to a dealership work? The process of selling your car can seem intimidating but Town North Mazda is here to help you navigate it. Stop by and see us in Richardson and get started on the selling or trade-in process!
How Does Selling Your Car to a Dealership Work?
Preparing to sell your car to a McKinney dealership is a simple process:
- Clean Up Your Car: Making sure your car is washed, detailed, and that any parts like floor mats or windshield wipers are clean and in good condition is a great way to increase the value of your vehicle before you bring it to the dealership.
- Highlight the Benefits of Your Vehicle: Writing down a detailed history of your car’s maintenance record, a list of any additional features it may have, and a list of accessories like bike mounts or extra key fobs will increase your vehicle’s value and make it more appealing to dealerships who may want to purchase your car.
- Have Your Car’s Title on Hand: Having your vehicle’s title accessible when you sell it will save time for the dealer which will get you your offer faster.
- Research Your Car’s Value: Use the tools available to you from Cars.com, Kelley Blue Book, or your local dealership to estimate your car’s trade-in value. You can utilize this number to help you negotiate a fair price with the dealer.
- Choose Your Dealership Wisely: If you have a new or gently-Pre-Owned vehicle you’re looking to sell, you’ll have a larger number of dealerships around Dallas willing to buy your car. However, if you have an older model car or a vehicle in need of more serious repairs, then you may have a better chance of selling it at a Pre-Owned car dealership.
What to Expect When Selling to a Dealership
After you prepare your car to sell, it’s time to head to the dealership. Here’s what you can expect from the rest of the process:
- Make an Appointment: While some dealerships will accept walk-ins, it’s best to make an appointment when trying to sell your car. That way, the dealer is already expecting you and can be prepared with all the proper documentation needed to complete the process.
- Used Car Manager: Most dealerships will direct you to a Used Car Manager or another salesperson to handle the sale. They’ll collect your personal information, then run a report on your car’s vehicle history.
- Inspection: The manager or salesperson assigned to your sale will often inspect your vehicle or have the experts at their service center do a quality inspection of your car to get a good overview of its condition.
- Consider the Offer: Once the dealership makes you an offer, you have the choice of accepting their offer or checking with another dealership to see if you can get a better offer for your car.
Benefits of Selling Your Car to a Dealer
Selling your vehicle to a dealership offers multiple benefits over trying to sell it privately:
- Save Time & Avoid Hassles: Trying to sell your car privately is a hassle and can take longer than getting an offer directly from a dealership. With a dealer, you don’t have to store your car, list it online, find or screen potential buyers, or worry about inviting strangers to your McKinney home for inspections and test drives.
- Lower Your New Car Price: Trading in your vehicle allows you to apply the value of your current car towards your new vehicle, lowering your monthly payments.
- Save on Your Taxes: When you trade-in your current vehicle for a new one from Town North Mazda, you only pay the sales tax on the difference between the trade-in value and the cost of your new car.
Let Town North Mazda Buy Your Vehicle!
Selling or trading in your vehicle is a great way to get some extra cash or even save on your next new vehicle purchase. Contact our finance team to start the selling process, or stop by today and talk to one of our sales representatives! You can also browse our car buying tips for advice on how to buy a new car or to learn more about our financing options.
More from Town North Mazda
If you’re in the market for an efficient, sophisticated, and family-friendly SUV, explore the lineup of Mazda SUV models at Town North Mazda. The Mazda CX-30, Mazda CX-5, Mazda CX-9, and Mazda MX-30 EV not only offer luxurious interior appointments, but they’re also highly functional and are engineered to deliver exciting drives on Plano roads. Unsure…
The 2022 Mazda MX-30 electric SUV has a starting price of $33,470 MSRP*. For this price, you’ll find the new Mazda MX-30 offers a high-end, efficient performance for any Plano drive as well as plenty of advanced interior technologies and conveniences to keep you comfortable and connected. Learn more about the 2022 Mazda CX-30…
No matter if you’re planning a Dallas roadtrip or a grocery run in Richardson, the new Mazda CX-50 SUV is the right model for the job. The 2023 Mazda CX-50 design brings class to a new level. Explore the new 2023 Mazda CX-50 price, interior features, and more with our finance team at Town North Mazda…